A rule is a task that is performed on incoming or outgoing mails in Outlook application automatically depending upon conditions that you specify. You can create a rules to customize your MS Outlook mailbox.
For an instance, you can customize rules to automatically moving mail from default folder to a respective folder.
Create a rule for moving file to specific folder:
- First, click on “Inbox” folder and in the MS Outlook menu select “Rules and Alerts” option.
- Next, click on “New Rule” button and choose the “Start from a a template or blank rule” option from Rules Wizard screen, then select the “Check messages when they arrive” option and click on “Next” button.
- In the next screen, check “Through the specified account” option and click the specified link in the bottom field.
- You can see a dialog box including a list of all existing accounts and choose the account you need check for this rule.
- Next window, Choose the “Move it to the specified folder” option and in the step 2 window click the specified link.
- You get a pop “Rules and Alters” window there select “Common Inbox” folder which the incoming messages will be moved from the public folder. Click ‘OK’ button.
- Click the Next button to display dialog box of exceptions. Here you may define the conditions on which the rule will not be applied.
- Select “Next”button. In the Summary dialog box you will see in which you can also enter the name of the rule.
- Finally, in order to save the created rule, click on “Finish” button and then click OK.
Create a rule for an existing message:
Follow the below instructions:-
- In the message list, select the particular message from which you want to make a rule.
- On the “Home” menu click on “Rules”, and then select “Create Rule” option.
- In the dialog box “When a new message arrives”, edit the criteria as per your requirement and in order to remove one of the criteria, click”-“button and to add additional criteria, click on “+” button in the Outlook application.
- Under “Do the following”, specify the required check mark among options that you want to be performed.
- Finally, click on “OK” button in order to save New Rule in Outlook application.
- Suppose, if you are using Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 or later versions then the rule is automatically saved on the Exchange server.
- If you generate multiple rules, on MS Outlook then it runs the rules according to which they are listed in the Rules window.
- In order to know more information about how to make Outlook more customization then follow this link.